Complete the following sentences with the correct alternative in italics.
1) My favourite Greek dish/plate is pastitsio, a casserole of lamb, macaroni and bechamel.
2) Harry enjoys all kinds of music: rock, pop, jazz, classic/classical.
3) If you're interested in working for us please send your CV with a covering letter to our personal/personnel department.
4) The nutritionist pointed out that food can have a big affect/effect on your mood.
5) The security guard stopped them at the gate and checked/controlled their bags for weapons.
6) Kate's husband is a marvellous cook/cooker. He's never out of the kitchen.
7) What would you like for desert/dessert? Chocolate mousse or sticky toffee pudding?
8) Nick won't be able to come to the meeting as he has to make an urgent travel/trip to Milan.
9) Air travel/trip has become more expensive lately because of rising oil prices.
10) How long does your journey/travel to work usually take ?
11) We were robbed/stolen while we were on holiday. They took our money and passports.
12) It was very hot out in the garden so we sat in the shade/shadow.
|CONFUSING WORDS (2)|
| CONFUSING WORDS (1)
More vocabulary tests:
Verbs: Test 1, Test 2, Test 3
Nouns: Test 1
Adjectives: Test 1, Test 2
Word Formation: Exercise 1; Exercise 2
|Are you a film buff? (= movie lover, cinephile) Practise your English surfing websites dedicated to cinema.
Visit Fiesta ESL's Cinema Links