ODD ONE OUT: Exercise 1.
The verbs on the right are all synonyms except for one. Underline the word which doesn't fit.
Example: SPEAK: say, talk, transfer, utter
1. REDUCE: boost, cut back, diminish, lessen
2. EAT: chew, fake, nibble, snack
3. ACCOMPLISH: achieve, manage, succeed, whine
4. SING: belt out, chirp, hum, scold
5. LIE: attach, deceive, fabricate, fib
6. CRITICIZE: condemn, find fault, nitpick, quote
7. LOVE: cherish, idolize, remark, treasure
8. BREAK: crack, drag, fracture, shatter
ODD ONE OUT: Exercise 2.
1. SLEEP: catnap, doze, ooze, snooze
2. HIT: punch, slap, slip, smack
3. STUDY: cram, revise, smudge, swot
4. PLAN: mastermind, neglect, organize, plot,
5. LAUGH: chuckle, giggle, snigger, yawn
6. WRITE: draft, gamble, jot down, scribble
7. RESIGN: join, quit, retire, step down
8. SHAKE: shiver, tremble, wobble, yell
Verb Synonyms (1)
2.3 VERB SYNONYMS (2) (Advanced)
"What is a synonym?"
Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary; More dictionaries and thesauri